VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT FOR SENIOR LEGAL OFICER
ANNOUNCEMENT NUMBER: ISSO-SLO/2018
The 31st Extra-Ordinary Summit of Intergovernmental Authority on Development (IGAD) Assembly Heads of State and Government on South Sudan, that took place on 12th June 2017, decided to convene a High-Level Revitalization Forum (HLRF) of the parties to the Agreement on the Resolution of the Conflict in the Republic of South Sudan (ARCSS) including estranged groups to discuss concrete measures to restore permanent ceasefire, the full implementation of the ARCSS and to develop a revised and realistic timeline and implementation schedule towards a democratic election at the end of transition period. The summit also mandated the IGAD Council of Minister to convene and facilitate this forum in collaboration with relevant stakeholders and appoint a Special Envoy to South Sudan.
In an effort to effectively support the tasks of the IGAD Special Envoy to South Sudan, IGAD Secretariat is strengthening the human resources capacity of its office in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. The office is expected, among other things, to coordinate technical, administrative, financial and logistical support and facilitate the HLRF process.
The IGAD South Sudan Office is under the direct supervision of the IGAD Secretariat in general and the Division of Peace and Security in particular. The day to day administrative, logistics and financial activities are supervised and coordinated by the Special Envoy.
Organizational Unit: IGAD South Sudan Office (ISSO)
Job Category: Professional
Position Title: Senior Legal Officer
Position Level: P-5
Reporting to: IGAD Special Envoy for South Sudan
Post Available: One
Duty Station: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
- Job Summary:
The Senior Legal Officer will support the IGAD-SSO HLRF team effort to identify gaps and opportunities for IGAD-SSO wide support to the Government’s effort to build national capacities for generating consensus around strategies for building peace, promoting governance and advancing sustainable peace. This will include building agreement on crucial reforms and preventing and mitigating recurring cycles of violence over land and natural resources that adversely affect inclusive peace process in South Sudan. The Legal Officer will provide legal and policy advice to the IGAD Special Envoy for South Sudan during the High-Level Revitalization Process and the implementations of the peace agreement.
- Duties and Responsibilities
Under the direct supervision of IGAD’s Special Envoy for South Sudan, and in close collaboration with the Juba Liaison Office, the Senior legal officer will provide strategic and analytical support to the IGAD Special Envoy for South Sudan in the High – Level Revitalization process and implementation of peace agreement; prepare legal, policy and communication materials for the IGAD-SSO leadership in the High – Level Revitalization process; and drafting legal text intended to form the basis of any future agreement and conforms with standards and principles of international law.
- Provide the IGAD Special Envoy for South Sudan with advice on international law, and the legal rights, and the working of institutions created by the peace agreement;
- Participate and contribute to the conduct of a comprehensive analysis of legal, institutional and political developments around drafting of South Sudan constitution and drafting of the revitalized peace agreement;
- Coordinate all liaisons with legal entities in South Sudan and provides legal advice to Institutions created by the revitalized peace agreement;
- Monitor and analyze international and regional development on South Sudan justice issues, including positions, amendment proposals for legal reforms in South Sudan;
- Lead, manage and research the conduct of comprehensive assessment of existing or emerging legislative and institutional framework for investigating, prosecuting and adjudicating crimes under international law to inform capacity building initiatives of South Sudan Judiciary;
- Provide technical support and advice to partners in monitoring investigations, prosecutions and trials of high-profile cases involving perpetrators of serious crimes under international law;
- Facilitate capacity building trainings and consultations workshops with key institutions created by the revitalized peace agreement
- Work closely with Gender advisor, political advisor, security advisor, media and communication advisor to support the High-Level Revitalization process and implementation of peace agreement;
- Undertake extensive legal research and analysis to inform the High-Level Revitalization process;
- Work with relevant facilitators, advisor and task force advisors to develop an overall strategy for High-Level Revitalization process and issues arising from ARCSS chapter discussion, including the sequence according to which issues will be addressed;
- Translate and edit documents as needed and as time permits;
- Provide official legal interpretation on all legal matters related to revitalization process;
- Provide legal advice on applicable domestic and international laws including matters related to constitutional reviews;
- Interpret legal documents and instruments
- Draft and periodically review legal documents such as contracts, articles of the peace agreement;
- Provide strategic advice to TGoNU on positioning in the lead to an election at the end of the transitional period.
- Required Skills and Experience
- Advanced University degree (Masters degree) or equivalent constitutional law, International law or related studies from a recognized University.
- At least 10 years of progressively responsible experience working as legal advisor in an international or regional organization;
- Extensive experience in research on peace processes
- International peace building experience and multi-cultural exposure
- Prior experience in the East Africa Region highly desirable.
- Good knowledge of human rights law and international humanitarian law;
- Key Skills and Competencies
- Sound skills and demonstrated experience in facilitation, consensus-building, multi-stakeholder processes and revitalization of peace agreement
- Familiarity with political analysis and peace process revitalization process issues (planning, design of table and agenda, engaging excluded groups);
- Strong analytical skills and ability to prepare legal opinions, recommendations and submissions
- Ability to work under minimum supervision
- Respect for confidentiality
- Excellent drafting and argumentative skills
- Computer literate
- Language Requirements:
- Fluency in both written and spoken English.
- Knowledge of French and Arabic will be an added advantage.
The duration of the assignment will be for 12 calendar months with possible renewal subject to good performance and availability of fund.
Deadline for Application: … March 31st,2018 on or before 5:30PM
- How to apply:
Only those interested candidates who meet the profile stated should submit their application accompanied by detailed CV, copies of both Academic and professional certificates and testimonials, names and addresses of three reputable referees, contact details (e-mails, telephone) to the following address:
IGAD South Sudan Office
Tel: +251-116185781or + 251 - 116621653
IGAD South Sudan Office shall only respond to shortlisted candidates.
IGAD is an equal opportunity employer. Female candidates are encouraged to apply.