Vacancy Announcement for Senior Media & Communication Officer
ANNOUNCEMENT NUMBER: ISSO/ MCO/ 2018
The 31st Extra-Ordinary Summit of Intergovernmental Authority on Development (IGAD) Assembly Heads of State and Government on South Sudan, that took place on 12th June 2017, decided to convene a High-Level Revitalization Forum (HLRF) of the parties to the Agreement on the Resolution of the Conflict in the Republic of South Sudan (ARCSS) including estranged groups to discuss concrete measures to restore permanent ceasefire, the full implementation of the ARCSS and to develop a revised and realistic timeline and implementation schedule towards a democratic election at the end of transition period. The summit also mandatedthe IGAD Council of Minister to convene and facilitate this forum in collaboration with relevant stakeholders and appoint a Special Envoy to South Sudan.
In an effort to effectively support the tasks of the IGAD Special Envoy to South Sudan, IGAD Secretariat is strengthening the human resources capacity of its office in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. The office is expected, among other things, to coordinate technical, administrative, financial and logistical support and facilitate the HLRF process.
The IGAD South Sudan Office is under the direct supervision of the IGAD in general and the Division of Peace and Security in particular. The day to day administrative, logistics and financial activities are supervised and coordinated by the Special Envoy.
Organizational Unit: IGAD South Sudan Office (ISSO)
Job Category: Professional
Position Title: Senior Media & Communication Officer
Position Level: P-5
Reporting to: IGAD Special Envoy for South Sudan
Post Available: One
Duty Station: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
- Job Summary:
The Senior Media and Communication Officer will strengthen system, mechanism and processes within IGAD-SSO resulting in effective communication and media engagement; capture and widely disseminate best practices and lessons learnt in the implementation of High-level Revitalization process and the implementation of the peace agreement and support capacity building of institutions created by the peace agreement at national and sub-national levels on effective communication.
- Key Functions:
- Advise IGAD Special Envoy for South Sudan in communication
and media related affairs
- Update and advise the Special Envoy on the current affairs and identify suitable interventions to enhance communication, media and advocacy during the High-Level Revitalization process and the implementation of peace agreement;
- Work in close collaboration with IGAD-SSO team to develop communication and media strategy; and,
- Strategize all communication and media requirements for IGAD-SSO
3.2 Implement Media and Communication Strategy:
- Plan and collaborate on communication and media needs of IGAD-SSO;
- Identify and develop storylines for media
- Coordination and management of all IGAD-SSO media activities, including content management, norms for press releases
- Draft all IGAD-SSO press releases and media feeds
3.3 Compile and document the best practices and lessons learnt
- Lead the documentation lessons learned and best practices during High-Level Revitalization process and the implementation of peace agreement;
- Prepare effective and efficient communication strategy/guidelines;
- Plan and coordinate the dissemination of IGAD-SSO knowledge management products and other relevant project information.
3.4 Undertake systematic capacity development of media and
Communication officer of institutions created by the peace agreement
- Train the media and communication staff of institutions created by peace agreement in technical writing of successful stories from South Sudan;
- Support capacity building of staff on documentation and communication.
3.5 Collaboration and effective communication with relevant parties
- Keep the IGAD special Envoy for South Sudan abreast of the ongoing media and communication related activities, plans and programs related to High – Level Revitalization process and the implementation peace agreement;
- Serve as a liaison point for any IGAD-SSO related communication to external parties
- Perform any other duties assigned by IGAD Special Envoy for South Sudan
- Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s Degree from a recognized University in Journalism, media studies, Sociology, Human rights, conflict and peace studies, development studies, political science or other related fields.
- At least 10 years work experience in development communication activities in developing countries;
- The experience should include at least 5 years’ experience in formulating and drafting communication and media work materials
- Prior experience in the East Africa Region highly desirable.
- International peace building reporting experience and multi-cultural exposure
- Skills and competencies
- Demonstrated ability to draft concise, analytical and high – quality knowledge management products and presentations in English;
- Well versed in MS word, Excel, Power Point and desktop publication packages in computer.
- Knowledge of Procedures used in preparing and distributing publicity and public information material;
- Ability to Communicate clearly and effectively both orally and in writing,;
- Ability to work under pressure to meet deadlines;
- Skill to coordinate production and printing of publications and promotional materials in an effective and appropriate manner;
- Knowledge of Principles of public communications, information and relations; principles and techniques of printing
- Language Requirements:
- Fluency in both written and spoken English. Knowledge of French and Arabic will be an added advantage.
The duration of the assignment will be for 12 calendar months with possible renewal subject to good performance and availability of fund.
Deadline for Application: … March 31st 2018 on or before 5:30PM
How to apply:
Only those interested candidates who meet the profile stated should submit their application accompanied by detailed CV, copies of both Academic and professional certificates and testimonials, names and addresses of three reputable referees, contact details (e-mails, telephone) to the following address:
IGAD South Sudan office
Tel: +251-911-243163 or +251-911-236881
IGAD South Sudan Office shall only respond to shortlisted candidates.
IGAD is an equal opportunity employer. Female candidates are encouraged to apply.