Request for Expression of Interest (EOI) - Individual Consultant
Consultancy Service of the Development of Policy Briefs on Gender and Resilience
As part of the implementation mechanism of IDDRSI Strategy and Regional Programing Paper (RPP), seven IGAD Member States, namely Djibouti, Ethiopia, Kenya, Somalia, South Sudan, Sudan and Uganda developed Country Programming Papers (CPPs). The CPPs provide the operational framework and implementation plans at country level, tailored to address context specific issues that counter drought emergencies through both preventive and response measures. CPPs build on overarching, multi-sectoral policy and programme instruments of Member States.
In light of the IGAD Gender Policy Framework as well as other relevant regional, continental and international policy and legal obligations, the need to further draw systematic and sustained attention to gender equality and women’s empowerment through gender mainstreaming in the IDDRSI Strategy has been in due process realized. .
Against this backdrop, IGAD Secretariat conducted a gender analysis of IGAD resilience programming frameworks in 2016 to form the basis for mainstreaming gender in intervention planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation. The analysis examined women and men’s roles and responsibilities within the context of IDDRSI, their access to and control over benefits/assets, priorities, needs and constraints. There is now need to review, synthesize and repackage the gender analysis into clear and concise policy briefs for each IDDRSI pillar, including the added component (PIA 8).
The IGAD have received financing from the Government of Sweden and intends to apply a part of the financing for the consultancy Service of Development of Policy Briefs on Gender and Resilience.
Overall Objective of the assignment
The aim of developing the gender and resilience policy briefs is to enhance appreciation of gender inequalities for improved gender mainstreaming practice in IDDRSI at regional and national levels.
- Provide a synthesis/ summary of findings from the gender analysis of IDDRSI programming frameworks
- Update the gender analysis with a synthesis of key issues for PIA 8 (Human Capital, Gender and Social Development)
- Propose policy and programmatic options for addressing pertinent gender issues under each PIA at regional and country
The expected result/ deliverable of the assignment is a set of eight (8) policy briefs (in English, to be translated by IGAD into French),
Qualifications and Experience required:
- • Advanced University degree (Masters or equivalent) in Gender/Social Sciences, Development Studies and/or disciplines related to the IDDRSI PIAs
- Team leader/main consultant should have at least ten (10) years of relevant professional experience in gender and development work of policy and advocacy briefs for governmental or intergovernmental bodies
- The team should have demonstrated competencies that cover all 8 IDDRSI PIAs
- Knowledge of gender perspectives in drought/resilience programming in IGAD region would be an added advantage.
- Prior experience in and/or knowledge of the IGAD region will be an added advantage.
- Excellent drafting, analytical and writing skills.
- Fluency in spoken and written English. Knowledge of French will be an added advantage.
- Women applicants are encouraged.
Duration of the assignment
The total duration of the consultancy/task is expected not to exceed 45 calendar days from date of commissioning. The consultancy will be executed between (August and September 2020). The consultant is expected to submit all the deliverables to IGAD Secretariat, by the end of September
How to Apply
Interested Consultants must submit their expression of interest (updated CV and copy of the educational and work experience credentials with a cover letter) to the address below in person, or by mail or by email no later than 2:00 pm local time on Monday 10th August 2020 .
Our address is:
Administration and Finance
Avenue Georges Clemenceau
P.O. Box 2653,
Djibouti, Republic of Djibouti